(I wrote this yesterday on my phone during my train ride home. Sorry if it is a bit scattered)
Today I was walking to the train station, something I do every day, and had an experience that kinda shocked me. An older man was behind me and made a comment about an inconsiderate driver. I turned and continued our conversation. As we were about to part ways he said, "ma'am, can I ask a favor? Will you continue to smile? It's such a beautiful smile."
In
that moment I was so touched by this kind man's words. I walked toward
the platform with tears in my eyes asking, why is it so hard to love
yourself? To see the beauty that others see?
We
all have a beauty that is too frequently clouded by our negative
thoughts. Those thoughts maybe conscious or you may not recognize the
negativity until a stranger offers you a ray of light that clears the fog that has been lingering.
That's
how I feel. I no longer have very many conscious thoughts of self doubt
or self loathing. But there seems to be enough subtle negativity that I
forget who I am and that I am beautiful.
The
other lesson I walked away with is how quick I am to shut myself off.
Usually while on a train or bus you avoid conversation and if you are
unfortunate enough to sit by a talker, you shut it down. Fast. My
question is why? Everyone has their own reasons I'm sure, but I couldn't
think of mine. Unlike some, I love people. I recharge my battery by
being around and being involved with people. If I'm having a crappy day I
can't sit and watch Netflix or read to feel better. I have to get up
and engage in some sort of personal interaction. (Although a good night
in with Netflix and a cozy blanket is always appealing.) So knowing that
about myself, why deny myself the chance to gain more energy? Why deny myself a chance to
connect with someone who could become the highlight of my day?
Writing
things out makes me realize that my current habits may not be the best
for me. Such as making myself unavailable for random conversation or
consuming large amounts of social media that alter my expectations of
"normal". For a quick example, I have a guilty pleasure that seems to be
shared with only 12 year old girls. YouTube videos. Lifestyle and
beauty YouTube videos to be more exact. Now, there is nothing wrong if
that is your thing that helps you recharge your positive energy. But for
me, it sucks it out.
The
majority of the people I watch are introverted which means that being
by themselves, eating donuts, and taking a bath helps them walk away filled with positive energy. Tidbit about me, I don't enjoy being by myself for long
periods of time, sugar makes me grumpy (which SUCKS because I have the biggest sweet tooth), and think taking a bath is a waste of my time. But watching them talk about all these things that
make them happy makes me doubt myself. Perhaps I should try that way
out and I'll be happier! And then a few days later when I'm being a grumpy
gus towards Jake, I remember that I'm not those people on YouTube! And
that's not bad or wrong. It doesn't make me an attention seeker or
obnoxious. It doesn't mean I should change my energy source or who I am. It just
means I am an extrovert and they may not be.
Near the beginning of July, I wrote down the top 5 things that make me happy, make me fill full of positive energy, and help me stay close to my true self. Did you know that's why I started running? Since implementing that one activity, which crosses off 3 of the 5 things, sometimes 4, I have noticed a huge difference. So I want to ask, what are 5 things that help you recharge your positive energy? Help you feel happy, truly happy? Now compare that list with what your life consists of today and then adjust.
I have been more aware of my energy sources since thinking this way and it has helped me constantly adjust my life to line up with those 5 things. When I forget, I can tell based on my behavior and how I feel. The best part is that I have the power to stop, realign, and move forward!
I'm grateful for a chance to learn new things about myself and continue to grow and evolve.
I'm grateful for a chance to learn new things about myself and continue to grow and evolve.
No comments:
Post a Comment